February 5, 2010

"He Who Would Be Heard"




William Lloyd Garrison (1805-1879) was among the most vociferous of the abolitionists in Boston in the three decades leading up to the Civil War. Garrison was the editor of “The Liberator,” a weekly newspaper that from 1831 to 1865 was the voice piece of the abolitionists advocating for the abolition of slavery in the southern states. Garrison’s credo in regards to his views on abolition was "I do not wish to think, or speak, or write, with moderation… I am in earnest -- I will not equivocate -- I will not excuse -- I will not retreat a single inch -- AND I WILL BE HEARD."
In 1832, Garrison founded the New England Anti-Slavery Society and the next year, he co-founded the American Anti-slavery Society and made a name for himself as one of the most articulate, as well as most radical, opponents of slavery.
The Garrison Family monument is on Smilax Path.

No comments: